Understanding that service lines can represent 50% or more of system-wide distribution network risk, many gas operators consider measurement and management of service risk to be a key component of their Distribution Integrity plans. In many cases, operators are assuming ownership of curb to meter service lines, adding an additional risk component, as these pipes run directly to homes and buildings where gas is consumed.
Optimain DS SPIP incorporates a separate assessment of the risk associated with leaks or other failures on service pipes into the overall risk model. Similar to configuration of Optimain DS for main pipes, implementing the SPIP module requires statistical analysis of available service pipe attribute and failure data, and SME input to identify and confirm service failure and risk profile factors and weights. Users can identify areas or map grids where the total risk is dominated by the service pipe component, which could be candidates for service only replacement projects. Service risk can also be the deciding factor when allocating capital or other resources.
Features and Benefits
The Optimain DS SPIP module is a valuable extension to Optimain DS software. With the addition of the SPIP module, Optimain DS is enhanced to provide the following functionality:
- Predict service pipe failures based on material, vintage, size, leak history, and/or other factors
- Model service-specific risk profile factors, including meter location, building use, and use of excess flow valves
- Total project risk is the sum of main and service risk
- Incorporate service pipe risk into project scores, system-wide analysis, and provide visual representation of relative risk by area in your GIS
- Forecast service pipe repair expenses
- Manage proactive “service only” replacement projects when risk or repair expenses are dominated by the service lines
- If necessary, integrate new data sources to capture service-specific failure and risk factors
- Configure business rules to automatically select default service risk mitigation plan
The Optimain DS SPIP module provides the means for evaluating and incorporating individual service pipe failure and risk evaluations, which provides increased flexibility in capital dollar replacement allocations.