Third party excavation is identified as the leading threat for damage to distribution facilities, and one requiring consistent proactive efforts by operators to reduce its impact on distribution system integrity. While Optimain DS acquires and evaluates failures caused by third party damage for forecasting an expected value for this specific threat, it neither links to nor uses data from the One-Call system as part of the overall risk analysis, and does not proactively support Damage Prevention resource allocation based on active One-Call requests.
With the advent of Optimain xDR, Opvantek provides you regularly updated views of excavation risk and adds significant support to the operator’s damage prevention activities. Historic damage records in any electronic format with addresses or coordinates are projected onto the same coordinate system as the GIS, and new One-Call requests are either downloaded or accessed electronically on a daily schedule. Combining this data with other risk factors in Optimain xDR provides a very powerful and useful tool in preventing third party excavation damage.
Analyzing Data and Trends
Before implementing Optimain xDR, Opvantek analyzes One-Call records and any other data collected and maintained by the damage prevention unit, as well as the work processes and coordination among relevant business units. This approach may identify opportunities for improvement, and highlight the benefits of using One-Call record data and any other data inputs from the damage protection unit to support the operator’s threat identification, risk assessment, and mitigation efforts.
Then, Opvantek performs a statistical analysis of historical locate requests by both spatial and related attributes, including street name, address range, and/or Map Grid, plus contractor name (to identify worst offenders), and type of work performed, correlating the data with historical leak reports to determine whether One-Calls are providing a meaningful threat warning and/or failure factor for specific pipe materials.
Optimain xDR provides the following benefits to any distribution system operator:
- Helps operators focus limited damage prevention resources on the highest risk areas
- Gives immediate visibility of underground facilities in the high-risk areas (tabular or GIS)
- Identifies proactive damage prevention opportunities such as frequent offenders (excavators determined to be high risk based on past performance), poorly performing locate technicians, or areas prone to damage
- Improves customer safety and satisfaction by reducing service disruptions and emergency situations
- Opvantek and USIC announce New Phase in Reseller Agreement V2
- Effectiveness of Optimain xDR
- Analysis of DOT reportable incidents caused by excavation damage
- Reseller agreement supporting USIC’s Ticket Risk Assessment damage prevention service